The FRIENDS OF MASSANETTA is an independent organization of volunteers who are dedicated to supporting the ongoing mission and programs of Massanetta. It had its origin in 1991 in a successful effort to reopen the Conference Center after it was closed in 1989. Under the inspired leadership of Hal and Betty Finlayson, hundreds of influential individuals were contacted and given a channel through which they could show their support for reopening Massanetta. Over $200,000 was raised by the Friends which proved to be the linchpin in the reopening. The Friends pitched in, painting and cleaning up, and practically staffed the Center for the grand opening, at the Bible Conference in August 1991.
The Friends continue their interest in and support of Massanetta. The organization is governed by a Steering Committee of 15 persons elected to serve three-year terms. These persons are elected by the membership at an annual meeting held on the Monday afternoon of the Bible Conference. The President of The Friends is a voting member of the Board of Trustees of Massanetta Springs, Inc.
Friends serve as volunteers for many useful and valuable services. They staff the front desk at the Hotel, help prepare bulk mailings, and plant and maintain the flowers. They also volunteer for occasional painting and repair jobs or make beds when needed!
The Friends have raised funds from its membership to finance an annual project, which would otherwise not be funded. Projects completed include:
- 1998 A water softener system for the kitchen and an upgraded sound system for Hudson Auditorium
- 1999 A picnic shelter in honor of Hal and Betty Finlayson
- 2000 Showers added to seven bathrooms that only had tubs, located in the first floor of the Richardson building
- 2001 Lampposts for the front walk to Massanetta Springs Road and additional picnic tables
- 2002 Heat relief in the kitchen
- 2003 Dining room tables refinished
- 2004 Additional bathrooms added to Virginia Dorm
- 2005 New landscaping around the Lodge and along both the walkway and road to the Lodge
- 2006 “Rock, Water, and Light” included repointing of the beautiful stone walls, restoring the water fountains at the Spring House and in front of the Nook, and replacing the lights along the Massanetta Springs Road
- 2007 Painting of Hudson Auditorium and additional lighting along the walkways
- 2008 New vinyl siding on Wilson Cottage and restrooms improvement in Hudson Auditorium
- 2009 New roof shingles and minor repairs for the Lupton Building
- 2010 Exterior of the Nook refurbished
- 2011 Tree removal and new trees planted to beautify the front lawn
- 2012 Porch rocker replacement
- 2013 Walkways and lighting around Hudson Auditorium; main parking lot repairs
- 2014 Replacing and painting of the railings on the bridge to Camp Massanetta
- 2015 Repairs to the pool
- 2016 Donating towards the renovations of Hubler Lodge
- 2017 Automatic handicap door opener for side door to Hotel
Friends Project 2017
Our 2017 Friends Project is installing an automatic handicap door opener for side door to hotel.
Join the Friends of Massanetta!
Members are still welcome and anyone may join. No dues are required—only a love for Massanetta. If you would like to become a member of the Friends of Massanetta, please send your name, mailing address, e-mail, and phone number to:
Friends of Massanetta
712 Massanetta Springs Road
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
There is no charge to become a Friends member, only the love of Massanetta and the caring for her.
For other questions, please contact the Rev. Skip Hastings, President of Friends of Massanetta at firstname.lastname@example.org.